ST PAULINUS PARISH - LIFE, NOT JUST EXISTENCE
SILENT CONTEMPLATIVE PRAYER
Are you missing our open church times of silent private prayer? We have gone online! We will alternate 4pm Monday one week with 7pm Thursday the following week, to allow both daytime and evening attendance.
If you want to take part in these Zoom sessions,
please contact us HERE: Email: email@example.com
Our Zoom Prayer Session will follow this format:
1. Opening Prayer:
In times of trouble, and with assurance for what is and all that is to be, May we have faith in the unfolding of our lives, and radical trust in the universe
(excerpted from Psalm 106, Nan Merrill, Psalms for Praying)
2. Beginning sound
3. Silence (duration 30 minutes)
4. Ending Sound
5. Closing Prayer:
Lord, make me know your way.
Lord, teach me your paths.
Make me walk in your truth, and teach me:
For you are God my saviour
We can say the opening and closing prayers together or just listen, whichever is most comfortable to you.
THE FOUR GUIDELINES OF CENTERING PRAYER
1. Choose a sacred word or a sacred breath as the symbol of your intention to consent to God’s presence and action within.
2. Sitting comfortably and with eyes closed, settle briefly and silently introduce the sacred word as the symbol of your consent to God’s presence and action within.
3. When engaged with your thoughts, return ever-so- gently to the sacred word. Thoughts include body sensations, feelings, images, and reflections.
4. At the end of the prayer period, remain in silence with eyes closed for a couple of minutes.